The spread of coronavirus has made self-isolation a more popular word.
High risk nations have adopted self-isolation as one of the strategies of reducing the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
People who have been advised to walk this road are travellers who returned from high risk nations.
Nigeria is also issuing this advice with guidelines on how to go about it.
The self-isolation guidelines were issued by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
It highlighted what to do when you suspect you may have been exposed to someone with coronavirus.
The NCDC also emphasised the need to keep mental health at optimum while in self-isolation. This will hep reduce chances of depression.
Other things in the guidelines are people that should consider self
The effectiveness of the self-isolation period will depend on how this guidelines are followed.
If you are under self-isolation, you are advised to observe the following prevention and control measured.
1. Stay in a well-ventilated room away from other people such as family members with separate hygiene and toilet facilities
2. If you are working, ensure you work from home during the entire duration (14 days)
3. Ensure that you have adequate food, water, hygiene provisions and appropriate medical treatment for any existing medical conditions while in self-isolation
4. Ensure that you have the necessary communication facilities e.g. mobile telephone to communicate with family members and other people while in self-isolation
5. Always wash your hands with soap and water regularly or use an alcohol-based hand rub
6. Cover your nose and mouth with disposable tissue when coughing and sneezing. Throw away used tissue into the dustbin or burn it and wash your hands immediately with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub
7. Stay away from pets as there is a chance that humans can pass the disease to them
8. Avoid sharing toothbrushes, utensils, dishes, drinks, towels, clothes or bed linen with anybody in your home
Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs/handles, bedside tables, bedframes and other bedroom furniture daily with regular household disinfectant or soap
9. Clean and disinfect bathroom and toilet surfaces at least once a day with regular household disinfectant or soap
10. If you develop any symptoms of acute respiratory infection, including fever, cough, sore throat and difficulty in breathing, please call for immediate help on the NCDC toll free line 0800 9700 0010
Keep Your Spirit Up While In Self-isolation
However, the importance of the self-isolation will not overshadow the need for the individual to maintain a good mental health while observing this necessary measure.
It is easy for people to be bored, stressed, lonely and depressed while in walking this remedy road.
Have you read: Coronavirus In Nigeria: How To Boost Your Immune System
As a result, the Centre also recommended some practices that are great for persons who decide to self-isolate.
Here are the things people can do to keep their spirit up while in self-isolation.
1. Talk to other members of the family about the COVID-19, understanding this disease will reduce anxiety
2. Reassure your young children using age-appropriate language
3. Think about how you have coped with other difficult situations in the past and reassure yourself.
4. Keep in touch with family members and friend via telephone, emails or social media
5. Stock plenty of materials to keep your mind occupied such as books, movies etc.
6. Ensure you have a television, cable and internet connectivity in your room (this is
7. Exercise regularly in your room
8. Ensure that you drink at least 8 glasses of water every day to keep hydrated
9. Eat all your meals in a timely manner
10. Ensure you take adequate rest
Symptoms To Watch Out For
During the 14-day self-isolation an individual could develop COVID-19 symptoms such as
High temperature (fever)
Shortness of breath (or difficulty in breathing)
Or general feeling of unwellness
However, after the period and no symptoms show up, the individual is certified free to go about.